Rick Joaquim (SASC) is an award-winning Cinematographer who is constantly in demand. From short films and music videos for South Africa’s leading artists to Commercials and Narrative projects for clients including Netflix, the Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on HBO, ONE.org (Bono from U2’s Non-Profit Organisation), KIA Cars South America, Doritos, BMW and Virgin shooting with Sir Richard Branson.
When you see Rick’s work, it takes a minute for you to put your finger on why you simply can’t look away. Soon you get it. There’s a kind of magic holding your gaze in every frame. For sure all the technical genius is present, but it’s his empathy with the subject matter that keeps you riveted. His love and respect for narrative is what drove him to film in the first place, but his dedication to each story – is what makes each picture a joy to watch.
“If the composition and lighting don’t bring the audience closer in, I’ve missed the point.” Says Rick. “Telling every part of a story beautifully is why I am here.” Rick is generous, determined and focused on bringing the heart of the piece into the light. He is also one of the best humans you’ll ever meet. Which is probably why he finds the kind of moments ordinary people overlook.
Rick’s work was also recently included in the ARRI Camera Showreel 2019. More of his work can be found here: https://www.rickjoaquim.com/
Recent Awards an Achievements include:
- Included in the ARRI Camera Showreel 2019
- Inducted as a SASC Member (South African Society of Cinematographers) in 2019
- Winner “Best Cinematography” for “Axis Mundi” – Kleinkaap Short Film Festival 2019
- Silver Certificate awarded for the “Television Drama – Short Film” Category for the short film “Haatklop” at the SASC Visible Spectrum Awards 2019
- Silver Certificate awarded for the “Alternative” Category for “Makeup is Art” at the SASC Visible Spectrum Awards 2019
- Nominated for “Music Video of The Year” for Bongeziwe Mabandla’s “Bawo Wam” – South African Music Awards / SAMA’s 2019
- Nominated for “Best Cinematography” for “Makeup is Art” – Bokeh South African International Fashion Film Festival 2018
- Nominated for “Best Cinematography” at the 48 Hour Film Project Cape Town 2019 for “The Unexpectables”
- Won “Best Short Film” and “Best Script” for “Axis Mundi” – Kyknet Silwerskerm Film Festival 2018
- Won “Best Short Film in Competition” for “Vossie Vergas Homself” – Durban Gay & Lesbian Film Festival 2018
|Like Rick Joaquim on Facebook
|Follow Rick Joaquim on Instagram|